Monday, May 30, 2016

Bright Yellow Hollyhocks

15x11 watercolor on Canson XL 140 lb paper done this afternoon.  Using a very tall pale yellow hollyhock by my front door area I quickly sketched the blooms in pencil then with small amounts of water put in the flower centers allowing paint to run and mingle. This is about 45 minutes as I was trying to outrun a thunderstorm and hail. Working from light to dark, I could keep going on it ad infinitum.  Negative painting with mixed darks was last.  For greens I mixed 1) Payne's Grey + quinacridone gold 2) aureolin yellow + ultramarine blue 3) green gold + indigo.
Image COPYRIGHT 2016 Kay Smith.

No comments:

Checkerboard Chicken

6x6 watercolor and black Brusho on Masters Touch 80 lb paper sketchbook done last week, another class exercise in color and pattern. Micron...