Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Cactus Flame

11x15 watercolor on Canson 140 lb cold press paper finished today.  Actually I have been laboring over this for 3 days, working on it as I had time.  This vibrant red orange cactus bloom captivated me when I saw it in our park by the big spring for which our town is named.  Parts of pods were dried and withered but the bloom was there in all its flaming glory.  Again I used Mint Julep (American Journey by Cheap Joe's) plus various shades of gold, ochre, sienna, and indigo for the greenish grey pods or leaves.
Image COPYRIGHT 2016 Kay Smith.

1 comment:

A R I said...

This is a stunning watercolor!
Really beautiful!

Lemons in Blue Bowl

6x6 watercolor using White Nights paints on Masters Touch sketchbook 80 lb paper done week before last. As part of a WetCanvas challenge we...