Monday, January 23, 2012

Jacque Rabbit reworked watercolor demo

22x15 watercolor, gouache, over failed watercolor painting of a too detailed floral.  One of my line drawings was placed over the old one and the shape outlined in fine tip Sharpie.  I placed a full sheet acetate over and began laying in large areas with paint to see what worked and what did not.  There was lots of negative painting in the original piece and I wanted some of that patterning to show in the finished rabbit.  This was begun as a demo last Monday at the Palette Club in Midland, TX.  There are tiny touches of line emphasized with Caran D'Ache watersoluble crayons.  I will be back there in June 7-9 for a short workshop teaching this method; email me to find out more:  kay1971smith@aol.com

Here is the old failed painting, an imaginary floral which shows what was in my brain at the time last year, mostly nothing! I did like the warm coral, pink, gold, yellow, magenta, and orange colors accented by the dark hunter and lime greens, and cobalt teal blue.

BEFORE:

No comments:

Checkerboard Star Cat

6x6 watercolor using Rosa paints made in Ukraine recently done on Masters Touch 80 lb. sketchbook paper. Using my photo of a friend's a...